Friday, April 26, 2013

Meeting the General.

We met at kelly field in San Antonio, Texas where I was teaching military correspondence.  I taught the girls how to write military correspondence and make copies.  It was a goverment job, I was a CEF 2.  He came in to watch one of the films all the guys had to watch to be able to recognize enemy planes.  He came in and spotted me sitting in the back corner.  He kept looking at me and looking at me.  The second time he came in and introduced himself and said we were going to be trasferred to hondo, and he said you have to go first.  All the girls had to go two weeks before to set up everything.  He said, "I will be following you in about two weeks, you mind if I look you up and we go out on a date and what would you like to do?"  I said I would like to go swimming, because I wanted to see what kind of body he had. Because I knew I could get serous about this guy, he had a nice smile and was good looking.  So we did that, we went swimming in the river, and we would go there several times.
 

  Eventually I had my own car, so he and I would drive my brand new oldsmobile into town and from then on we dated anytime we could.  We had breakfast together, he had privlidges because he was an officer.  We would go to movies on the weekends and then come back.  We both stayed in barracks.  We dated from then on, never stopped.  Four months later we were married.  That was pretty quick but I was worried he would go over seas, and I at least wanted to have a baby if something were to happen to him.

December 19th 1942 we got married in Cleveland Ohio.  We took my mother and dad with me so my dad could perform the wedding.  It was a heavy snowstorm the day we got married.  We all got on the train and headed for cleveland ohio.  The night we got there we had a wedding rehearsal, and then in the coming days we had the wedding.  After the wedding we went to NYC for our honeymoon.  We spent five days in NYC, we saw everything.  NYC was good to the soldiers, they rolled out the red carpet for you anywhere you went.  We went to all the famous clubs, and were treated like a king and queen.  The big bands were playing everywhere, there was so much entertainment during the war.  So we went dancing everynight.  Then we went back to Hondo, and I kept my job until I got pregnant.  
Walking down San Antonio when we were engaged.  We were so Happy.
What was your favorite thing about your husband: His personality.  He had a tremendous personality.  Very intelligent.  He liked to sing, play the piano and dance.  One thing I loved was going out dancing with him.  It was so much fun.  He was a beautiful dancer. He did fancy moves, but he was a good leader.  He was easy to follow and all of my friends that ever danced with him, none of them ever had any trouble dancing with him.


One of our weekends in San Antonio after we were engaged.  I remember that was a two piece dress and everyone thought that was a really fancy hat.  And I knew that Bill really loved me.  He let me know that over and over.  If it hadn't had been for world war two I wouldn't have met him.

Favorite date you went on: Well when we would go into San Antonio we would pick the biggest band that was out playing and we would go out to dinner and go dancing.  I loved dancing, those were my favorites.  I liked the bands that played good dancing music, Woody Hurman, Glen Miller.  There was so much music and entertainment because of the soldiers going over seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment