Sunday, June 16, 2013

The depression


 Living in world war two, everything was rationed.  You culdn't get butter, because everything went into the war effort.  A lot of women became welders and would build airplanes.  Everyone was making money, well thats what pulled us out of the depression.  Everyone was working.



The Depression...I was in my teens, nobody had any money at that time, but then the war broke out and everyone had a job.  Roosevelt was the president and he got us out of the depression.  It took the war to get us out of it, but roosevelt did it.  I still think he's the best president that ever lived.  He put in Rest stops, improved roads.  He just got jobs for everybody, but the war had a lot to do with it.  I guess if it hadn't been for the war, I don't know how we would have got out of it.  All of the boys wanted to get in the service because they wanted to protect our country so Hitler couldn't take over.  They had the draft, but they didn't need it, all of the boys wanted to protect our country from Hitler.    The congregation couldn't give us any money, because noone had any money.  My uncle had a farm nearby, and my other uncle had a farm.  We were sure nervous we would have to move in with them.  The congregation only brought in $90.00 that year.  My mother had two rentals from her father that helped us get through and the congregation always brought us food from their farms and gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment